arm setting for VTA

arm setting for VTA

Postby miner » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:22 am

When adjusting VTA arm tail up increases treble, arm tail down increases bass? Please verify. Once again, I am struggling to get my JMW 3D 10" arm right (my backup arm). I am the constant tweeker.
McIntosh C2300 pre; McIntosh MC452 amp; McIntosh MCD500 SACD; VPI Aries 3 with 3D arm and Ort. Cadenza Black MC cartridge; Manley Chinook SE; PS Audio P5 reg.; VPI SDS; Pioneer RT707 R2R; Nakamichi ZX-7 cass.; Sf Electa Amator III; Sf Gravis II sub
miner

Re: arm setting for VTA

Postby Peer Gynt » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:42 am

This really isn’t the idea behind vta adjustments.

The goal is to align the stylus with the cutting machine head used to make the mold that pressed the record.

For the vast majority of records and cartridges, alignment will be best if the tonearm is parallel to the record.

The test that satisfies my ears is that when vta is in its sweet spot, the image and space around vocals and instruments snaps into focus. The size of the sweet spot depends on the record, the stylus mounting, stylus profile, and the workmanship of the cartridge assembly.

I know some folks obsess over this. I have not found it to be worthwhile. I visually dial the arm to parallel, and forget it. I hear a much bigger influence from bogus anti-skating.
Peer Gynt

Postby Peer Gynt » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:51 am

Just a bit more help.

Loosen both set screws, and dial it up and down.

When you like it best, tighten the set screws. Then be prepared to do it again on the other side, and when you change records.

Frankly, on a few records, it’s a noticeable snap into focus. On most records, it can’t be characterized as a snap at all.

And the less line-like your stylus profile is, the less sensitive your system will be to vta/sra.

I read an article yesterday that started out with “Since the industry has turned every issue of vinyl playback into an argument, ...”. I think this is true. VTA/SRA is one of these issues.
Peer Gynt

Postby Orchids1 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:50 am

Miner, The answer to your question is “yes”. Rich
Avenger (w/mods)+SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu/tach, Sutherland 20/20, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cbl; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; dedic. 20A circuits.
Orchids1

Postby miner » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:51 pm

I guess I should have stated my cartridges are Ortofon Cadenza Black and A95.
McIntosh C2300 pre; McIntosh MC452 amp; McIntosh MCD500 SACD; VPI Aries 3 with 3D arm and Ort. Cadenza Black MC cartridge; Manley Chinook SE; PS Audio P5 reg.; VPI SDS; Pioneer RT707 R2R; Nakamichi ZX-7 cass.; Sf Electa Amator III; Sf Gravis II sub
miner

Return to Support Forum