Classic 1 VTA adjustement

Classic 1 VTA adjustement

Postby JK-47 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:10 am

I just purchased a used Classic 1, and after reading the manual I'm slightly stumped on VTA adjustment. It says to spin the small ring under the tone arm with the 4 nubs. It spins, and the gap below the arm increases and decreases when the ring is spun but I see no noticeable difference in the VTA. . Am I suppose to loosen the screw under the the turntable to make VTA adjustments?
JK-47

Re: Classic 1 VTA adjustement

Postby Marc » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:13 am

Once you loosen the set screws at the 12' O'clock and 3 O'clock position you will be able to adjust the VTA easily.
Marc

Postby JK-47 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:49 pm

@Marc would you be able to post pics and a step by step? Once I loosen the set screw at 12 and 3, then what? I spin the the wheel with 4 nubs and still no change in height.
JK-47

Postby Marc » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:08 pm

JK-47 wrote:@Marc would you be able to post pics and a step by step? Once I loosen the set screw at 12 and 3, then what? I spin the the wheel with 4 nubs and still no change in height.

No problem! I made this really quick for you. If you rather talk about it over the phone, send me an email at marc@vpiindustries.com.
1)First you would want to loosen the two set screws pictured below with a 5/64 Allen Wrench . (A pen is not a good tool to use)
ImageImage
2)Next you would want to spin the wheel and tighten the set screws when you
ImageImage
3) Try to make the arm parallel to the record as a starting point. From there you can adjust as needed. Make sure to lock up the arm when you are adjusting the VTA.
4) Enjoy!
Marc

Postby JK-47 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:56 pm

Thanks for the awesome tutorial, I'm all set with my cart :D
JK-47

Postby Marc » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:05 pm

JK-47 wrote:Thanks for the awesome tutorial, I'm all set with my cart :D

Glad to hear! Enjoy!
Marc

Postby Nick » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:01 pm

Hello, I just received a shiny new VPI Classic 1 from Music Direct and am trying to set it up. The manual says there are thumbscrews for setting VTA, but there are definitely no thumbscrews. This looks like it was helpful, but I can't see the pictures. Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Nick

Postby Marc » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:06 am

Nick wrote:Hello, I just received a shiny new VPI Classic 1 from Music Direct and am trying to set it up. The manual says there are thumbscrews for setting VTA, but there are definitely no thumbscrews. This looks like it was helpful, but I can't see the pictures. Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hello Nick,

The VTA on the Fly base has the thumbscrews. I re-uploaded the picture for you.
Marc

Postby Nick » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:48 am

I see, that clears that up. Thanks! I do not have the VTA on the fly, but I can definitely see the appeal now!

I was expecting Music Direct to do more of the setup, and I've never set up a turntable before, so I'm on a steep learning curve. All they really did was install the cartridge, and I had them put on an Ortofon 2M Bronze, which is evidently lighter than the counter weight wants. If I push it all the way up, I get 1.6 grams, and if I back it off at all it's around 1.3 grams (the cartridge says 1.5 grams is ideal). It's a little frustrating. But I found a thread that says I should get a headshell weight or use the Soundsmith EZ screws to add weight to the headshell so I can back that counter weight off. I think I'll get the screws, since I'll need to remove the cartridge, regardless (the one thing that MD set up for me! :lol: ).

I had also ordered the counter intuitive, but was told it no longer works with the new counter weight. I'll listen to a record eventually, I hope! :lol:
Nick

Return to Support Forum