Vpi Classic 30th anniversary

Vpi Classic 30th anniversary

Postby Caniko » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:57 am

Hallo, i have a VPI Classic 30th anniversary . Now I will buy a Grado Reference Master 2.
Now my question is, is the tonarm the right arm for this cartridge ? And, it my be that i get problems with a hum?
Sorry for my English , I come from Germany. Thank you for your help.
Best regards from Germany
Chris
Caniko

Re: Vpi Classic 30th anniversary

Postby spinblackcircle » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:57 pm

Caniko wrote:Hallo, i have a VPI Classic 30th anniversary . Now I will buy a Grado Reference Master 2.
Now my question is, is the tonarm the right arm for this cartridge ? And, it my be that i get problems with a hum?
Sorry for my English , I come from Germany. Thank you for your help.
Best regards from Germany
Chris

The tonearm will work fine but you will most likely get a little bit of hum that the unshielded Grado will pickup from the AC motor. It may not be enough to bother you. Personally, I ended up selling my 30th Anniversary Classic and buying a Prime which moves the motor farther away so that I could continue using wood bodied Grados with minimal hum problems. I found the front mounted motor on the 30th Anniversary to have too much hum for my liking. The low output Statement series is less susceptible and would be a better choice with the Front mounted motor location.

I also found the Soundsmith Zephyr to be a great hum free alternative to the Grado Reference Master.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Ryan Speakers R630, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby Mat » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:05 pm

Hi Caniko,

Should have no problem at all! Grados do like Gimbals better but we have used them on our uni's for years now. Shouldn't be a problem at all! ;)
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby Caniko » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:24 am

Hallo, thanks for your help.
Beste regards from Germany
Chris :D
Caniko

Return to Support Forum