practice and upgrading

practice and upgrading

Postby Optimationman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:49 pm

Learning new habits round the turntable. Got use to using the thumb in the old days when using an AR XA. Was steadier in those days, so relearning to use the queing device. Also practicing with a Denon Dl 110 as it's a sturdy design and forgiving of handling mistakes. Learning to optimize the performance of the cartridge thru adjustments with my TNT/Rega 300 with VPI VTA adjuster and the usual mods(Cardas, weight, spring defeat, Eichmann bullets, etc). A time consuming process. Using a vintage Modsquad phonodrive. I do alot of DIY mods to my equipment, including the phonodrive(64db gain, somewhat noisy, working on that). Loading is switchable, and can be customized(already used Tantalum, Vishay foil, and Caddocks on the Dl 110).

Ok, I'm ready to step up to a new cartridge. I live remote from any dealers of any audio equipment. Enter the internet and all its resources, including the valuable advice here. I listen mostly to acoustic, blues and 60-70s light rock. For discussion, I hear very little above 12k. From what I have read, I am considering, Benz Micro Ace, Hana SL, and at the top of the budget BM glider. The latter is iffy due to it's very exposed stylus(stories of dread). What's the thought on compatibility and matching performance for music/equipment choice?
Optimationman

Re: practice and upgrading

Postby Orchids1 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:41 pm

I have the same issues. Soundsmith’s cartridges are durable, sound great, and they do high quality stylus repairs at very reasonable prices. I have a SS Paua cartridge which reviewers rate as “reference grade”. Rich
Avenger (w/mods)+SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu/tach, Sutherland 20/20, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cbl; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; dedic. 20A circuits.
Orchids1

Postby Optimationman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:10 pm

Thanks for the Soundsmith suggestion. I have read many favorable comments on their products and services. Any suggestions/recommendation on a model to consider, keeping in mind compatibility with my equipment and music preference?
Optimationman

Postby Orchids1 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:48 am

You’d be better advised to speak to Peter Ledermann or Peter Green at Soundsmith. They’ll know what’s best. Rich
Avenger (w/mods)+SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu/tach, Sutherland 20/20, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cbl; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; dedic. 20A circuits.
Orchids1

Return to Support Forum