VPI Prime help please

VPI Prime help please

Postby JustinM » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:38 am

I just purchased a 6 month old Prime and have a couple questions I hope someone can help me out with. I am pretty familiar with setting up VPIs I think, after owning a Scouttmaster for a couple years now and changing cartridges and tone arms a few times. My 1st question is about leveling up the table. I’ve seen the videos several times and easily adjusted the threaded spikes on Scouttmaster but it looks like maybe the newer Primes may be different than the ones in the videos? The isolation platforms that the spikes sit in don’t have 3 ball bearings but use a rubber o ring around the perimeter instead. When I set the table up on the rack it was very close to level but I would still like to be able to tweak it a little when needed. I was under the impression that you just turn the spikes to raise and lower them? When I try and turn them they don’t budge and feel like springs are holding them. I’m afraid of damaging them? Just wondering what I might be doing wrong? The 2nd question is should I clean and re lube the bearing to be safe? It had grease on the spindle/bearing and came with the spindle cover on and tape on bearing hole?
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide
JustinM

Re: VPI Prime help please

Postby JustinM » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:15 am

Okay I found a few others with the same issue, looks like the feet are locked in pretty good from the factory. I gave them a bit more effort after seeing a picture of one removed from the table and wasn’t worried about damaging it anymore. They all loosened up and made leveling the table pretty easy.
I had one more question for users of the 3D arm with the metal finger lift. Is it a bad idea to install the plastic washers between the head shell and finger lift? I used them to try and keep the indentation to a minimum when mounting the cartridge with soundsmith ez mount screws.
Thanks again for any advice
JustinM

Postby vienna acoustics » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:34 am

I would advise you to use PTFE Teflon washers under the metal finger lift and not metal washers or other plastics. Thats a hint that once Richard Mak had given me and I haven't regret for trying it since then.
Amplifiers:Gryphon Pandora,Gryphon Mephisto Stereo,Gryphon Legato Legacy
Speakers;Tidal Contriva G2 SE, VPI Avenger Reference/FatBoy12” Gimbal&Fatboy 12” unip/LPI Stillpoints,Lyra Etna, Airtight Opus 1DigitalAurenderN10, EMM DA2, Torus AVR
vienna acoustics

Postby Brf » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:46 am

vienna acoustics wrote:I would advise you to use PTFE Teflon washers under the metal finger lift and not metal washers or other plastics. Thats a hint that once Richard Mak had given me and I haven't regret for trying it since then.

Richard Mak of AnologMagik? I've known Richard for years, he lives around the corner from me. He sure loves his McIntosh!
Brf
Site Admin

Postby vienna acoustics » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:48 am

Thats right BRF, he is insisting on Teflon washers for all the tonearms
In the past he has advised me on many matters and he loves his McIndosh and his Verdier turntables

I didnt know that you are living in Canada
Amplifiers:Gryphon Pandora,Gryphon Mephisto Stereo,Gryphon Legato Legacy
Speakers;Tidal Contriva G2 SE, VPI Avenger Reference/FatBoy12” Gimbal&Fatboy 12” unip/LPI Stillpoints,Lyra Etna, Airtight Opus 1DigitalAurenderN10, EMM DA2, Torus AVR
vienna acoustics

Postby seamonster » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:51 am

I never installed the finger lift on my Prime. If nothing else, it will allow more thread to engage whichever cartridge you use. I clean my hands before playing records, so, I feel comfortable setting my tonearm in place, and returning it to cradle, with my fingers.
I also use this lifter, which has performed without fault for the eight months I've had it:

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-A ... 603&sr=8-1
seamonster

Postby Stringreen » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:32 pm

oh so easy to crack the plastic without the washers in place. Just wondering what improvements/changes you now have from the Scoutmaster
Stringreen

Postby JustinM » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:04 pm

Wow, thanks Stringreen I wasn’t aware that the 3D arms are that fragile, thats scary. I wonder if that’s why they stopped integrating the finger lift in the arm. I did hear an improvement with the Prime over the scoutmaster right away and my Wife surprisingly came into the room and said it sounded a lot "smoother". I have a suspicion that the biggest improvement comes from the heavier platter and 3D 10" tonearm. I feel like everything is a little more refined and warmer sounding with the Prime. I feel like there was noticeably deeper bass on Scoutmaster with Jmw 9" metal arm but the Prime has more refined/controlled bass? I’m still playing with the VTA which probably isn’t dialed all the way in on my Kiseki Purple Heart which is very difficult to set up due the stylus sitting so far back and being extremely thin like a strand of horse hair. I still love my Scoutmaster though and don’t plan on ever letting it go.
JustinM

Return to Support Forum