Mint Best Protractor vs SMARTractor

Mint Best Protractor vs SMARTractor

Postby leftside » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:54 pm

Just wanted to share a few thoughts on the Mint Best Protractor and SMARTractor. I have a Benz LPS cart.

It took me a few hours with the Mint to setup the cart, but I got there in the end. The "difficulty" is not so much the Mint, but rather the Benz with the hardly any exposure of cantilever - therefore making it very difficult to see the parallel lines on the Mint in relation to the cantilever.

The SMARTractor was a breeze to setup. I chose the Loefgren B IEC tangential curve. I didn't even need to read the manual for the SMARTractor - just followed the 9 mins YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xef-1CzwjCg

I wish my tonearm had a very small divot so the SMARTractor locator pin would sit nicely on the tonearm above the tonearm pivot. This would have made things a little more precise.

My stylus landed perfectly on the SMARTractor alignment spot. A great feature with the SMARTractor is that the alignment spot is very slightly indented. This makes it much easier to "land" (as opposed to the Mint).

So, once the stylus has landed in the alignment spot, the next step is to make the cantilever align with the lines on the SMARTractor. This was very, very difficult with the Mint - but almost impossible with the SMARTractor. You can't see the line that should be directly under the cantilever, as the line is too far back.

With a different cart I believe the SMARTractor would be much simpler to use than the Mint. I now want to try another cart - this time with one that is easier to setup with a more exposed cantilever. I'd then like to compare the results of this new cart with those of the Benz using Analog Magik.
TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator GA, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv, Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-4
leftside

Re: Mint Best Protractor vs SMARTractor

Postby tony22 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:01 pm

leftside wrote: This was very, very difficult with the Mint - but almost impossible with the SMARTractor. You can't see the line that should be directly under the cantilever, as the line is too far back. .

Exactly my experience, lefty.
Pass XP-20 & XP-17, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal + 2nd mount, Benz LPS, VAS & SS carts, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, Audience and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Return to Support Forum