Thanks brf set up advice

Thanks brf set up advice

Postby MOON » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:02 pm

I was doing research on vtf and vta adjustments and came across some advice by brf on fine tuning both of these adjustments here

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7545&p=23554&hilit=Vertical+tracking+angle#p23554

Anyway, I did the vta adjustments in increments like Brent suggested and was shocked at the differences that makes. I can now say this is the best I have heard my system. And to think excellent sound is just waiting for you with aa bit of effort. Thanks Brent for your knowledge you share day in and out for us on the forum here. Greatly appreciated!!
Greg
Classic 4, 12"3d, hrx pulley, 3 belts, dual pivot, sds, Pneuance NP-2 Peunmatic footers, Lyra Kloes, Waynes Perifery Ring 3.8 lb, Stillpoint LPI , Simaudio 610 Evolution PS, Audio Sensibility silver statement cable, Tru lift & sweep
MOON

Re: Thanks brf set up advice

Postby Johnny » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:16 pm

BIG +1

He has helped me out numerous times. Always generous with his time. He even helped my VPI dealer with a bearing upgrade to my Avenger Reference table.

Moderating/ administrating a forum is a thankless job!
Johnny

Postby Mat » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:06 am

BRF is the best! +1
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby Golear » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:15 am

I'll just add this slight modification to Brf's technique for dialing in the VTA (RTH). I got this from a retired master machinist and audiophile, (initials: CL).

There's some "play" in any geared system. And this is true for VPI tonearms as it's true for lathes and drill presses, and even CNC machines. The trick is to work with this play, rather than battle it.

Adjust the VTA(RTH) tower so that it's definitely lower than what you want it to be.
You'd probably have started at a higher setting, so you've reduced the RTH until it's definitely lower than what you want it to be.
Then listen to the sound, according to what Brf mentioned. You can also check the height of the soundstage, particularly the height of the singer, or whether the kick drum is at the floor (correct), or seeming to float a few centimeters above the floor (incorrect).
Since we're starting with the RTH too low, we'll want to increase the RTH. So turn the knob by a certain amount. The first adjustment will "take up" the play. It could be half a turn, or a quarter turn. I recommend a quarter turn.
Listen again. Then increase the RTH by half or quarter turn again.
Repeat the listening check.
Then increase again by half or quarter turn.

At some point, you'll go too far. When you do, note the marking on the scale. Then turn the RTH down by one full turn. This first turn will "take up" the play. And then repeat the process by quarter turns until you get back to where you want things to be. Again, the first turn you make in the opposite direction will "take up" the play.

The key is to account for the "play" in the mechanism.

The thing to be avoided is to raise the RTH up and then down, then up and then down again. And so on. The play in the thread mechanism will drive you nuts. So set it too low (or too high) then raise (or lower) in stages until you get the to where you need the RTH to be. In my experience, I can't really hear differences within 1/4 turn. But some cartridges are extraordinarily sensitive to VTA/RTH. Especially the ones that cost $20,000.

Hope this makes sense.

It also helps if you have a remote control knob turner, so you can make small adjustments from your listening position. :-)
(It's also got to be pure analog, with a long wire, rather than using Bluetooth or IR or some other wireless link.)
Golear

Return to Support Forum