Magnetic Platter bearing replacement - Sapphire and Si3N4

Re: Magnetic Platter bearing replacement - Sapphire and Si3N

Postby izk » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:07 pm

Brf wrote: First, let get the terms correct. The drive platter (bottom platter) has the black facing on the top. The slave platter (top platter) has the black facing on the bottom. Are you suggesting that your platters are different?

Currently my drive bottom platter has the back face facing down! But that may have been done by me when reassembling the whole setup.
Synergistic Research PowerCell 12 UEF SE > Ortofon Anna Diamond > VPI Avenger Reference > Merrill Audio Jens phono
> Merrill Audio Christine preamp > Merrill Audio Element 116 amps > Acoustic Zen Crescendo speakers & cables
User avatar
izk
VPI Distributor
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:58 pm

Re: Magnetic Platter bearing replacement - Sapphire and Si3N

Postby Brf » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:42 pm

Please see the picture below. If yes, then we have figured out your issue.
Attachments
Drive platter.jpg
Drive platter.jpg (106.69 KiB) Viewed 229 times
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4185
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: Magnetic Platter bearing replacement - Sapphire and Si3N

Postby izk » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:47 pm

Brf wrote:Please see the picture below. If yes, then we have figured out your issue.

The placement of the shaft is fine. The longer run of the two on either side of the stop ring is downwards, the shorter segment is pointing to the ceiling and supporting the top platter. The issue is the magnetic platter's side that is resting on the stop ring is the black one, so the side facing the top platter is the metal one.

So to summarize, the sandwich goes like this

1) With a bearing shaft divided in two by a metal stop ring, the long segment into the bottom oil bath filled with 12 drops or 30 SAE synthetic motor oil and the short segment above the ring pointing up and lubricated at the ball end with PTFE grease...
2) Bottom magnetic drive platte resting on the metal ring with black face down...
3) Top platter resting on top greased bearing ball hanging about 3mm above the bottom platter.
Synergistic Research PowerCell 12 UEF SE > Ortofon Anna Diamond > VPI Avenger Reference > Merrill Audio Jens phono
> Merrill Audio Christine preamp > Merrill Audio Element 116 amps > Acoustic Zen Crescendo speakers & cables
User avatar
izk
VPI Distributor
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:58 pm

Re: Magnetic Platter bearing replacement - Sapphire and Si3N

Postby Brf » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:55 pm

izk wrote:
Brf wrote:Please see the picture below. If yes, then we have figured out your issue.

The placement of the shaft is fine. The longer run of the two on either side of the stop ring is downwards, the shorter segment is pointing to the ceiling and supporting the top platter. The issue is the magnetic platter's side that is resting on the stop ring is the black one, so the side facing the top platter is the metal one.


I assume that you have never removed the bearing shaft that is secured to the drive platter, correct? If so, someone at the VPI factory installed the drive platter upside down on the main bearing shaft.
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4185
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: Magnetic Platter bearing replacement - Sapphire and Si3N

Postby Brf » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:00 pm

Below is a picture of the magnetic "drive" platter properly oriented
Attachments
Drive 2.jpg
Drive 2.jpg (68.34 KiB) Viewed 225 times
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4185
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: Magnetic Platter bearing replacement - Sapphire and Si3N

Postby izk » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:19 pm

Brf wrote:I assume that you have never removed the bearing shaft that is secured to the drive platter, correct? If so, someone at the VPI factory installed the drive platter upside down on the main bearing shaft.


The drive (bottom) platter slides freely on the shaft and comes off just as easily (or with the same difficulty, if you prefer) as the top one does. I discovered this when trying to lube it for the fist time. There is nothing securing it in place other than the stop ring not letting it slide down further. This is why I am guessing I may have put it back together wrong myself.
Synergistic Research PowerCell 12 UEF SE > Ortofon Anna Diamond > VPI Avenger Reference > Merrill Audio Jens phono
> Merrill Audio Christine preamp > Merrill Audio Element 116 amps > Acoustic Zen Crescendo speakers & cables
User avatar
izk
VPI Distributor
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:58 pm

Re: Magnetic Platter bearing replacement - Sapphire and Si3N

Postby izk » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:26 pm

Brf wrote:Please see the picture below. If yes, then we have figured out your issue.


This is what I have been calling stop ring it is secured to the shaft by tightening screws. I stops the drive platter from sliding down further on the shaft, but the drive platter is otherwise free on the shaft like a thick, tight washer.

ring.png
ring.png (530.62 KiB) Viewed 220 times
Synergistic Research PowerCell 12 UEF SE > Ortofon Anna Diamond > VPI Avenger Reference > Merrill Audio Jens phono
> Merrill Audio Christine preamp > Merrill Audio Element 116 amps > Acoustic Zen Crescendo speakers & cables
User avatar
izk
VPI Distributor
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:58 pm

Re: Magnetic Platter bearing replacement - Sapphire and Si3N

Postby izk » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:08 pm

Ok, second call to Cliffwood today. According to VPI tech, the bottom drive platter is just slid on the shaft and sitting on the metal ring there. Nothing is affixing it to the shaft itself other than weight and friction. It comes right off.

So it appears my issue is that at some point I put it back on backwards and the magnetic grasp of the drive platter onto the slave one is weak, thus the extended rotation I see when the ADS is stopped and the hard stop I see on the bottom platter.

IMG_4217.png
IMG_4217.png (2.39 MiB) Viewed 213 times
Synergistic Research PowerCell 12 UEF SE > Ortofon Anna Diamond > VPI Avenger Reference > Merrill Audio Jens phono
> Merrill Audio Christine preamp > Merrill Audio Element 116 amps > Acoustic Zen Crescendo speakers & cables
User avatar
izk
VPI Distributor
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:58 pm

Re: Magnetic Platter bearing replacement - Sapphire and Si3N

Postby Brf » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:23 pm

I glad that we have figured out your issue.

Once you reoriented your drive platter does it now behave correctly?
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4185
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: Magnetic Platter bearing replacement - Sapphire and Si3N

Postby vienna acoustics » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:23 pm

izk wrote:Ok, second call to Cliffwood today. According to VPI tech, the bottom drive platter is just slid on the shaft and sitting on the metal ring there. Nothing is affixing it to the shaft itself other than weight and friction. It comes right off.

So it appears my issue is that at some point I put it back on backwards and the magnetic grasp of the drive platter onto the slave one is weak, thus the extended rotation I see when the ADS is stopped and the hard stop I see on the bottom platter.

IMG_4217.png


Still can’t understand how you have experienced this improvement you have stated, with all that mess
Amplifiers:Gryphon Pandora,Gryphon Mephisto Stereo,Gryphon Legato Legacy
Speakers;Tidal Contriva G2 SE, VPI Avenger Reference/FatBoy12” Gimbal&Fatboy 12” unip/LPI Stillpoints,Lyra Etna, Airtight Opus 1DigitalAurenderN10, EMM DA2, Torus AVR
User avatar
vienna acoustics
Senior Member
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:07 pm
Location: Greece

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests

x